Disclosure: Some posts on this blog are sponsored, meaning that I received goods, services, or monetary payment for my writing. My opinions however, are not 'purchased' and are always 100% my own. Posts contain affiliate links that I earn a commission on. This disclosure is done in accordance with the FTC 10 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Address Your Heart Health!

This post has been sponsored by the Campbell Soup Company. For more on my disclosure policy, please see the tab titled 'Let me disclose to you'. Thanks +Campbell's Kitchen!

In a society where things are becoming constantly 'easier' thanks to advances in technology, it can be difficult to get the proper amount of exercise. Combine that with the fact that so many foods that are ready-to-eat have a low nutrient level and you might be looking at heart issues somewhere down the line.

My family and I have been really focusing the past few years about getting ourselves healthier. I'm at risk for high cholesterol and heart disease (thanks to my genetics) so it is especially important to me to take good care of myself.

Getting in-shape can be a chore, which is why I find it is better to take proactive steps everyday towards maintaining health that don't interfere with my daily routine. Here are a few ways that my family focuses on promoting our heart health & overall well-being:

• We eat beets. Believe it or not, beets pack quite a wallop when it comes to heart health. They have a high level of nutrients that work to reduce inflammatory compounds in the arteries and thereby lower your risk of heart disease!
  • We walk after every meal. The American Heart Association has found that there is no difference between a moderate walk and vigorous run when it comes to heart health! Even walking for a few minutes a day can help to improve your overall heart wellness.
  • We get our lycopene. Soups, sandwiches, salads, juices - if we can add tomatoes to them, we do. Lycopene has long been thought to improve blood vessel function in addition to the already amazing antioxidant boost it provides.
  • Water, water, water. This is critical. Staying hydrated will allow your heart to pump blood much easier, not to mention help to rid your body of waste and toxins. Dehydration can be deadly, so make sure that you're drinking enough water each day!
  • We cook nutrient-rich meals. Don't have an idea for any meals that are heart-healthy? Check out some of my favorites below; then, click HERE to snag some great coupons & offers from Campbell's so you can get to cookin' and save money in the process!

Grilled Bruschetta Chicken

Pizza Primavera with Cauliflower Crust

Creamy Turkey & Vegetable Lasagna

Broccoli Cheddar Rice

Creamy Chicken & Vegetables over Spaghetti Squash

Get even more out of this campaign by heading over to AddressYourHeart.com to snag additional tips, recipes, and coupons!

11 comments:

1. It is never to soon, or to late to start living right for your heart. People are having heart attacks younger and younger. Thank you for the good tips!!

Comment originally posted by lgothard at March 21, 2014 at 2:14 AM.
    This comment has been restored by the admin due to accidental deletion.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! I was just reading a Woman's Day article a month or so ago about some very young women who had survived heart attacks!

Comment originally posted by Alicia Figueroa on March 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM.
      This comment has been restored by the admin due to accidental deletion.

2. Cauliflower crust is SUCH a good idea! Thanks for the tip.

Comment originally posted by Amy M on March 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM.
    This comment has been restored by the admin due to accidental deletion.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually first saw a recipe for this from my blogger friend over at Cooke's Frontier. (http://cookesfrontier.blogspot.com) If you are looking for some great & healthy recipes, I highly suggest checking her out!

Comment originally posted by Alicia Figueroa on March 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM.
      This comment has been restored by the admin due to accidental deletion.

3. We do many of the same things that your family does (except eat beets). I do want to exercise more. Ever since I became pregnant with baby #3, I haven't had the time nor the energy to exercise. Great post!

Comment originally posted by Erin K. on March 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
    This comment has been restored by the admin due to accidental deletion.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets really hard to exercise as you have more kids for some reason - it seems like it should be the opposite with all the extra work that is involved! ;)

Comment originally posted by Alicia Figueroa on March 22, 2014 at 5:27 PM.
      This comment has been restored by the admin due to accidental deletion.

4. We recently found out my husband has high cholesterol so we are trying to be more cautious of what we eat. Thank you for the tips.

Comment originally posted by Christina Strapp on March 22, 2014 at 5:21 AM.
    This comment has been restored by the admin due to accidental deletion.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome! Another thing that has been helpful to me in lowering my cholesterol is using popcorn oil for butter instead of actual butter. It has a lower amount of saturated fat and no cholesterol! I was very surprised since I always assumed it would be fattier than butter, but I think it might be made with olive oil. (At least the brand we buy probably is.) It tastes great in mashed potatoes though!

Comment originally posted by Alicia Figueroa on March 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM.
      This comment has been restored by the admin due to accidental deletion.

5. Thanks....all good tips, especially staying hydrated! I never would have assumed my kids like Spaghetti Squash just as much of pasta!

Comment originally posted by Christina on March 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM.
    This comment has been restored by the admin due to accidental deletion.

ReplyDelete