There are some items that I find it much easier to buy in-store of course (like bed sheets and towels), but I think the home-made version of the below items win out every time:
- Baby clothing - Not only can you usually get away cheaper when you make your baby clothing rather than buy it, but you can use adult-sized clothing that is bound to be thrown out or donated to make mini-versions for your children instead!
- Aprons - These kitchen-fashion staples can be created with any number of materials to suit specific tastes or even your kitchen-decor!
- Baby bibs - Making baby bibs is simple and fun! Because you are working with a small-canvas you can use up a lot of scraps in your design - that means less overall waste!
- Blankets - These are harder to make, but much more rewarding and tend to last for years. They also make fantastic gifts because of all the personal effects you can add to them.
- Hot pads - Another easy favorite of mine, these can be made in bulk in an afternoon. It can be difficult to find hot pads that match your kitchen, so this is definitely a must-sew item for me!
No matter how nice it is to have custom-sewn things around the home, life can still get in the way of being able to have the time for sewing things like that!
Recently we had a giveaway on our site sponsored by a company called Opulent Monsters. This Etsy seller specializes in giving you some of your time back by sending you easy-to-sew fabric packs along with a detailed sewing pattern - the results of which are an adorable pair of pants for a young child.
The patterns are simple-to-follow and so detailed that they even come with photo instructions! I think that's spectacular because when I'm sewing something new, I spend the bulk of my time figuring out the pattern instead of sewing!
I heard about this company through fellow blogger Sarah over at Mami's 3 Little Monkeys. You can read her full review by clicking here. Make sure to hop on over to the Opulent Monsters Etsy Shop after that to take a peek at what they currently have for sale!
Connect:Want to know more about Opulent Monsters? You can connect with them on social media for updates, deals, & more through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or YouTube!
(The giveaway that was associated with this post has expired, please check out our giveaways tab for a list of available contests! Please contact Sarah at email@example.com if you have questions about the results of this giveaway.)
Disclosure: I received no compensation for this post and, as always, my opinions are purely my own.