I just love getting into the kitchen and experimenting with new products! One of my favorite things to do is create new recipes that combine my love of at-home cooking with my need to cut down on prep time.
Although meal-starters are an excellent way to accomplish this, I have a hard time finding ones that I feel are healthy enough to feed my family. When I see organic meal-starters - I'm all over it!
I was recently given the opportunity to try out some organic instant rice mix from Seeds of Change, thanks to my membership with Smiley360. (Anyone can join, if you're curious just check out my mission HERE to see how you can sign up to get great coupons and free stuff to test out!)
I love eating sweet and sour pork, but it always tends to take a long time and make a huge mess in my kitchen. (Which means I spend even more time cleaning up afterwards!) This recipe combines easy with tasty, and only uses one pan to cook the entire meal in!
Caribbean Sweet Pork & RiceServes 4
- 1 lb (approximately) of boneless pork chops
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans pineapple chunks in juice (not syrup!), reserve 1/2 cup juice and drain rest
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup Catalina dressing (also known as California-style French)
- 1 package Seeds of Change Caribbean-style rice (check out this page for instructions to see if there is an available coupon)
1. Heat oil in skillet on medium high.
2. Arrange pork chops in skillet and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Flip pork chops and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes to allow both sides to sear a nice golden brown color.
4. Chop both bell peppers into coarse chunks. I like to do this during steps 2 & 3 while I'm waiting for the pork chops to brown.
5. Combine the bell pepper, drained pineapple, 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 1/2 cup Catalina dressing in a bowl and stir.
6. Pour the bell pepper & pineapple mixture over the pork chops and bring to a boil.
7. Stir in rice carefully after mixture is boiling, then turn down to medium heat.
8. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the sauce from scorching.
9. Serve with a side of fresh cheese or a salad. Delicious.
Did you try this recipe? Do you have a similar one?
Chat with me in the comments below, I love hearing from my readers!